From pioneering chiropractors and current students shaping the future to alumni making a difference in the world, Cleveland University-Kansas City loves to celebrate our close-knit community of lifelong colleagues and friends.
Cleveland University-Kansas City was founded in 1922 by Palmer graduates Dr. C. S. Cleveland Sr., Dr. Ruth R. Cleveland; and Dr. Perl B. Griffin – each one is respected for contributions to chiropractic. The original college enrolled three students in its first class, and graduated its first doctor of chiropractic in 1924.
In 1911, Dr. Tullius Ratledge established the Los Angeles branch of the Ratledge System of Chiropractic Schools and became the champion of chiropractic on the West Coast. In 1951, Dr. Ratledge transferred management of his Los Angeles college to colleague and fellow chiropractic activist, Dr. Carl S. Cleveland Sr. Ratledge College was rechartered in 1955 as Cleveland Chiropractic College of Los Angeles. In 2011, the Cleveland Los Angeles campus consolidated operations with the Cleveland Kansas City campus.
CUKC continues to be a nonprofit university led by a Cleveland, Dr. Carl S. Cleveland III, the grandson of the founders. As the chiropractic profession moves into the 21st century, Cleveland continues to grow and develop in keeping with the vision of its pioneers.
Below are profiles of various Cleveland University-Kansas City faculty and alumni featured in our #CUKCinsight blog series. Designed to be impactful, heartfelt, and inspiring, these videos and written interviews offer a personal glimpse into what makes CUKC outstanding, and what it’s like to be a Clevelander.