There's no such thing as a silly question, especially when it comes to financing your future. Below is a list of questions our incoming students frequently ask.

Is it true that only high-need students receive financial aid?

No. There are many different types of aid for all students, regardless of income levels. Direct Unsubsidized Loans are non-need-based forms of financial aid.

What is the FAFSA form?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a large piece of your financial aid file. The Office of Financial Aid uses this document to determine your need for all the available aid, such as the Pell Grant, SEOG and Federal Direct Loan program. You can complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov or with a paper application. Include our school code so we can receive the form electronically. Our Title IV code is: 014438.

When should I start applying for financial aid?

It is recommended to start the financial aid application process 90 days prior to the beginning of the term. The deadlines are as follows. This schedule allows our office to process your aid in a timely manner:

Fall entry: July 1

Spring entry November 1

Summer entry: March 1

What is the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Loans?

The Direct Subsidized Loan is a need-based loan where the Department of Education pays the interest on the loan during periods of deferral and up to 6 months after separation from the College (i.e., graduation, withdrawal, enrolled less than half time). The Direct Unsubsidized loan is a non-need-based loan. This means the borrower is responsible for the interest on the day the loan is disbursed. The interest can be paid monthly or quarterly or the borrower can allow it to accrue during the in-school period.

What are the interest rates on my loans?

The interest rates for loans listed here are effective 7/1/18:

Undergraduate Loans
Subsidized Loan 5.05%
Unsubsidized Loan 5.05%
Parent PLUS Loan 7.60%

Graduate Loans
Unsubsidized Loan 6.60%
Grad PLUS Loan 7.60%

If I do not complete my education, do I have to pay back my student loans?

Yes. Student loans are required to be paid back regardless of whether you have completed your education. In the event that you choose not to pay your loans back, they will go into default. With default, the Department of Education will obtain your loan and assign it to a collection agency. You will owe the entire unpaid amount, including interest, collection fees, court, and attorney’s fees. At this time, the IRS may seize your property, garnish your wages, or sue you. The government can take your federal and state tax refunds and even your state lottery winnings to pay your student loan. Defaulted borrowers are published in the federal register.

Where do I go to find how much I have total borrowed on my student loans?

NSLDS Student Access displays student loan/grant amounts, outstanding balances, loan statuses and disbursements. Go to the Financial Aid Review section of www.nslds.ed.gov, then use your PIN, SSN, first two letters of your last name, and date of birth. Or call 800-4FEDAID.

What are the current default rates from the federal government?

The University complies with all Title IV Requirements of the Higher Education Reauthorization Act as amended in 1992. The current default rate for the Federal Family Education Loan Program or William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program at Cleveland is 2.6 percent.

Assistance for the Military

Recognized as a military-friendly school, Cleveland University-Kansas City is proud to assist men and women in the U.S. Armed Forces. We welcome students who are veterans, and offer assistance through our Office of Financial Aid. Our campus is located 40 miles from Fort Leavenworth, KS., 140 miles from Fort Riley, KS., and 200 miles from Fort Leonard Wood, MO.

Our enrollment team is ready to help! The Office of Financial Aid can explain the financial aid process and the benefits veterans and military personnel may receive. The Office of Admissions will assist you with transcript evaluations from any institutions you may have attended or plan to attend. To request military transcripts, visit www.dodmou.com. Please add or search for us by submitting “Cleveland University-Kansas City.”

Principles of Excellence

Cleveland University-Kansas City will ensure our service members, veterans, spouses, and other family members have the information they need to make informed decisions concerning their well-earned Federal military and veterans educational benefits.

Veteran Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs determines the eligibility of educational benefits for veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Please visit www.va.gov to complete the application process necessary to verify benefits. The Financial Aid Office will assist you with veteran benefit questions or processing. Please contact them at financialaid@cleveland.edu or by phone at (913) 234-0736.

Yellow Ribbon Program

CUKC was approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program beginning in 2017. The University has agreed to make additional funds available for eligible Post 9/11 veterans. Visit www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/yellow_ribbon.as...for more details.

Financial Aid Shopping Sheets

The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is a calculation of 2 terms and does not reflect the full cost of a program. It is a consumer tool developed by the U.S. Department of Education and is designed to simplify information about costs and financial aid for prospective students. Please download the shopping sheet below. A financial aid specialist will assist you with any questions. Contact us at financialaid@cleveland.edu or by phone at (913) 234-0736.

2018-19 Associate of Applied Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant shopping sheet

2018-19 Associate of Applied Science in Radiologic Technology shopping sheet

2018-19 Associate of Arts in Biological Sciences shopping sheet

2018-19 Bachelor of Science in Human Biology shopping sheet

2018-19 Doctor of Chiropractic shopping sheet

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment provides services to veterans with service-connected disabilities. The initial process is started online here at the VA Benefits website.

Our financial aid specialist will assist VR&E students with their financial aid processing. Reach our financial aid specialist at financialaid@cleveland.edu or by phone at (913) 234-0736.