Becoming an intern is an exciting milestone in chiropractic school. It is the point in the curriculum where you begin transitioning from basic science classes, to having the ability to treat actual patients…your very own patients. This is HUGE! It is what you’ve been going to school to do for the better part of three years at this point, and now you finally get to put your education into practice. So far, my experience has been exclusively positive. It is such a treat to show up to school every day and be able to provide chiropractic care to people you can call your own patients.
Here’s a little more about student clinic:
1. In the student clinic, you can only treat students, parents of students, spouses of students, and children of students.
2. All treatments are monitored by, and approved by, practicing chiropractors. This is essential because we are practicing under their licenses since we are still students at this point.
3. You will spend 4-6 months in the student clinic working on students and their families.
4. All documentation is performed in the same format that is required for practice outside of school. This is great because you get practical feedback that is applicable after you graduate.
5. In the clinic, you are able to practice any technique that you’ve learned in school. This allows the student intern the freedom to practice how they want to in the future.
6.) The student clinic is open in the afternoon when most students have gaps between classes. This is nice for scheduling, because the student-patients are able to get treatment conveniently on their breaks.
I am currently four weeks into my four-month tenure in the student clinic. I have been looking forward to this moment since I started school, and let me tell you, it’s even better than I expected it to be. I’m truly excited for all students to feel this amount of fulfillment when their time comes to enter the student clinic. Enjoy it. This is what your dream is!